Saturday, January 6, 2007

I spent a little over 2 hours soldering the rest of the parts on the SOB boards this morning. In the afternoon I mocked up one lv detect assembly and tested it. It appears to work, but, I have issues with this setup and the power supply so I can't do a thorough test.

I packed up the lv detect and the SOB boards to ship to the customer. One down...

I then turned my attention to the watermelon board, MUP, SUP board whichever one you want to call it. I had to make a code change and add a resistor to the SUP board. That took a good 4+ hours to debug. Once I got the proto working I built two more boards and proceeded to upgrade my MAG that now has three Crees and a Shark converter board.

The first thing I did was to change the 0.1 ohm sense resistor to a 0.22 to limit the top end max output of the converter to 0.5A instead of 1A. I then wired in the SUP board with wires instead of short connector pins.

I spent most of the evening debugging this assembly when it finally dawned on me that the 2D6AA battery pack was possibly too high for the Shark and the lower Vf of the Crees. I changed the battery pack to two single 1D3AA to make a 6AA battery pack and whoala!!! It works great.

The UI seems to be good. The brightness scale might need some tweeking, but, overall I'm very pleased I now have 4 levels of brightness to take advantage of the brighter LEDs.

Since I cut the max output to 0.5A from 1A this setup should run fine on two regular alkaline D cells as well. That'll be my next test.

While this proto works there is still a lot to do and fixes on the board that need to be incorporated. I'd estimate this will be available in two months or so from now if all goes well.

No comments: