My grandioso plan to build up inventory and fix/correct all the things to do that I haven't been able to get to is dissolving quickly. We have been running around town picking up food related items for the New Years day feast that Cindy's parents do every year. It now looks like we will be spending almost 1/2 day either Friday, Saturday or Sunday making Mochi. Monday morning we will be cooking Teriyaki chicken before heading over to the house. Over there we will help cook several hundred hand made WonTons and 4-5 pounds of shrimp Tempura (Yum :-) ). Saturday we will be attending a niece's b-day at a local bowling alley and then Pizza down the street.
My build rate peak has been approximately 40 LE in one day. That totally burned me out and I rested for three days before I was able to get any work done again. My sustainable build rate is more like one large batch of 20 every other day. It takes 3-5 hours per 10 LEs to assemble. That works out with all the steps involved to be 15 minutes per LE or more depending on how many fail at turn on. Sometimes I'm lucky and hit 20 out of 20. More likely I end up with 1-2 that don't turn on per batch of 10. It's too time consuming to pre-test the converter boards and it's just easier to weed them out after assembly. If they don't work they go into the big bucket of dead stuff. Yeah, you could salvage the LED and if I get desperate I will probably do that. One out of 10 is 10% scrappage or 90% yield. Building one LED takes an hour to two by itself. It's very expensive proposition to make one at a time. Making them in batches is the only way to economize and make it even worth doing for any quantity.
I could outsource this, but, I have to oversee the CM quality and it varies from batch to batch and that is not acceptable and as such I keep sucking it back and doing it myself. I have a hard enough time by myself and find I personally make or goof stuff up. I can't afford to have a batch destroyed by the local CM as the cost in parts lost would be devastating and non-recoverable once potted.
Need to focus on taking pictures and writing the descriptions for the new items on the shoppe.
I can say for certain that I will be putting up the Seoul P4 LEDs online ASAP as I now have a tracking number. The package is now in L.A. and it may actually get delivered Friday some time.
Thinking of pricing them individually as the 10 piece pricing as shown on Mouser.com web site.
I have yet to decide how to offer the copper discs, but, they will probably be sold two, three or four in a bag in the $1.00 pricing range and or bundled with the LED if that's not going to cause us major grief in inventory management.
Friday, December 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment